Principal Investigator: Karen Glanz
Co-Investigators: David Grande, Carmen Guerra
Project Coordinator: Krista Scheffey
Project Dates: 2014-2020
The Cancer Prevention and Control Network (CPCRN) is a national network of academic, public health, and community partners who work together to reduce the burden of cancer, especially among those disproportionately affected.
The UPenn CPCRN will achieve the following objectives as a collaborating center in the CPCRN:
- Establish and maintain the infrastructure within the UPenn PRC to lead and manage a program of community-based intervention research in cancer prevention and control
- Form and expand partnerships to advance community-based intervention research in cancer prevention and control in Southeastern Pennsylvania and the surrounding region
- Expand community-based dissemination and implementation research on cancer prevention and control in Southeastern Pennsylvania and the surrounding region, including the state of Pennsylvania, through the use of a) Evidence Academies and b) a Community Engaged Scholars program of collaborative pilot grant funding
- Take an active participant role in the Cancer Prevention and Control Research Network (CPCRN) and establish and/or maintain new working relationships with other collaborating Centers
- Facilitate dissemination of study tools, methods and findings to regional and national professional and community stakeholders
- Expand the evidence base in dissemination and implementation research in cancer prevention and control
- Address critical gaps in the uptake of evidence-based strategies to increase colorectal cancer screening by conducting implementation research to increase systematic and opportunistic screening for colorectal cancer in primary care settings, especially for disadvantaged and minority adults
The proposed activities will advance research across the translation continuum from discovery to dissemination and adoption of effective cancer prevention and control interventions.
Read more about the Cancer Prevention & Control Research Network:
Glanz K, Green S, Avelis J, Melvin CL. Putting Evidence Academies into action: Prostate cancer, nutrition, and tobacco control science. Preventive Medicine, Dec 2019; 129:105821.
Ko LK, Jang SH, Friedman DB, Glanz K, Leeman J, Hannon PA, Shannon J, Cole A, Williams R. An Application of the Science Impact Framework to the Cancer Prevention and Control Research Network from 2014-2018. Preventive Medicine, Dec 2019; 129:105821.
Leeman J, Glanz K, Hannon P, Shannon J. The Cancer Prevention and Control Research Network: Accelerating the implementation of evidence-based cancer prevention and control interventions. Preventive Medicine, Dec 2019; 129:105821.
Leeman J, Askelson N, Ko L, Rohweder C, Avelis J, Best A, Friedman D, Glanz K, Seegmiller L, Stradtman L, Vanderpool R. Understanding the processes that Federally Qualified Health Centers use to select and implement colorectal cancer screening interventions: A qualitative study. Translational Behavioral Medicine, Feb 2019
Arp Adams S, Rohweder CL, Leeman J, Friedman DB, Gizlice Z, Vanderpool RC, Askelson N, Best A, Flocke SA, Glanz K, Ko LK, Kegler M. Use of evidence-based interventions and implementation strategies to increase colorectal cancer screening in federally qualified health centers. Journal of Community Health, 2018; 43:1044-1052.